This is a talk I gave jointly with my colleague Ewa Deelman (ISI, USC) at Caltech on May 9. I have had a number of requests to post the slides, so I will do so here: Cloud IPAC May 9 gbb ewa final copy. We attempted to give a practical guide to using cloud computing in astronomy, especially for workflow processing at scale. We discussed the following topics:
- How to get started.
- What types of applications are best run on the cloud.
- How to go about deciding whether to run your app on the cloud.
- Examples of running apps on the cloud
- Tools for provisioning resources, running workflows on the cloud and monitoring.
- References for further reading.