One of my interests is techniques for software sustainability – how to go about producing software that be maintained and used over many years, even as platforms, browsers and operating systems mutate under it. I have written two posts on this topic: One Model For Software Sustainability and A Case Study in Software Modernization. The U.K.’s Software Sustainability Institute has collected a very useful list of resources for developers and projects wishing to sustain their software. The links on building a community are particularly useful and extensive.
The resources cover these topic headings:
- Starting and building community
- Congratulations! You’ve just inherited some code!
- Help! My developer is running away
- I’m not a lawyer – help me with legal issues
- Before starting your next software projec